Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Rosalie Gascoigne


Forty Acre Block by Rosalie Gascoigne
Licensed by VISCOPY, Aust



All that Jazz,by Rosalie Gascoigne 1989
Sawn & split soft drink crates on plywood
The Corrigan Family Collection
Reproduced with the permission of the Rosalie Gascoigne Estate


Okay - so I'm not artistic in the least and I have not managed to educate myself well regarding our Australian artists. But that doesn't mean it's too late to discover the amazing talent and artistry out there. I discovered Rosalie Gascoigne, (1917 - 1999) today, at the Ian Potter Gallery, Federation square, Melbourne town. She worked with scraps of wood from old softdrink crates,discarded pieces of corrugated iron, old dismembered dolls, pieces of old patterned linoleum, pieces of broken yellow road signs with black lettering, old fence posts with holes for the wire etc etc and created these beautiful art works. The pictures here only hint at the startling beauty of her installations,
I have to thank my friend Mary for broadening my artistic awareness. Every so often she suggests an outing to an art gallery somewhere and I am indebted to her energy and cultural appreciation.

Rosalie GASCOIGNE (1917‑1999)
Dolly boxes (detail) c.1976
Wooden shelves, wooden boxes and plastic dolls
Collection of The University of Queensland, purchased 1979
© Rosalie Gascoigne, Licensed by VISCOPY, Australia, 2008

No comments: