Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tomorrow is another day

While Monday is marvellous (my day off), Tuesday is tedious. I'm thrown into a "6-on" day and it's very trying and exhausting. I have been reminded tonight by Vicki Davies that I do love teaching but that I need to be like Fred Astair and keep on re-inventing myself. Certainly my little forage into technology, particularly this year, is helping in this regard.
I've got the nicest year 10 class this year. I've had so many difficult and challenging year 10's over the last few years that I had forgotten how positive and interesting young people can be at this age. I can remember an excellent year 10 class I had about 20 years ago. I had a very good class about 8 years ago and a nice one about 6 years ago. So they are a bit rare.
This year's year 10 are great. There's one fabulous group who listen attentively, try their best and talk to me just like I am a human being! They've done a really good job with their blogs and seem to be enjoying this alternate way of presenting English work. Some of my students started reading my blog today - I'd provided a link on their homepage. I wanted them to see how I had presented my 6 word story and photo and how I had provided some background info on what had inspired me. I felt a little strange them reading some of my more personal entries - like my daughter's recent disappointment - but they were lovely about it. Hopefully, reading my blog will provide them with some writing modelling.
Anyway, I had this good class first two periods. Second two periods I had my rather challenging year 8 class - they deserve a dedicated post. In the afternoon, the yr7's -nice but high energy. My yr11 class at the end of the day? Well they can also be hard work. So I was feeling quite washed out by the end of the day - I needed Vicki's pick me up. Oh, and a wonderful podcast from the US and Columbia-cute kiddies with strong Spanish accents. Must do some podcasting with my students or get a flip video - something different- who knows what tomorrow may bring?

No comments: